What’s New in SAP Analytics Cloud and SAP Digital Boardroom Release 2017.21
What’s New in SAP Analytics Cloud and SAP Digital Boardroom Release 2017.21: This blog covers some of the latest new features and enhancements in SAP Analytics Cloud* and SAP Digital Boardroom release 2017.21. Please note that the Analytics Cloud Help documentation is updated at the same time as the upgrade to this release, so the links here may not yet reflect what is described below until after the upgrade is complete.
SAP Analytics Cloud agent version required for data acquisition with this release:
- Version 1.0.82 for SAP Business Warehouse (BW)
- Version 1.0.82 for SAP ERP / SQL databases
- Version 1.0.75 for all other data source types
- Note: Although it is not required, you can upgrade to the new agent version 1.0.82, no matter what data acquisition type you use. Do this to take advantage of updates made to SAP Analytics Cloud agent.
For more information, see System Requirements and Technical Prerequisites.
Highlights of this release:
- Live connectivity to SAP BW: BEx queries improvements
- Direct live data connections to SAP BW and SAP S/4 HANA
- New data source type: SAP SuccessFactors Workforce Analytics
- Model export improvements
- Schedule a model refresh every hour
- Add or update account dimension members when importing data
- Input enablement for public and private versions
- Search while presenting in the Digital Boardroom
- Leave comments on a data cell in a table
- Contextual styling of numeric point charts
- Launch Explorer from the story canvas in view/present mode
- Account dimension drill-down in charts
- Filter creation from selection on table cells
- Reset chart filters to the original state of the story
Learn with our latest video tutorials
- Work with draft data
- Get sample and business content from the Content Library
- Create a Digital Boardroom agenda
- Create a Digital Boardroom dashboard
- Full tutorial playlist >
Data Connections & Integration
In the previous release, we introduced new improvements for working with BEx queries. We continue in Release 2017.21 with the following new features:
- Exclude range: You can now use “exclude range” in addition to “include range” as an option when you are selecting variable values. This can be a handy feature as it allows you to select a large range of values and exclude smaller ranges within that selection.
- Default settings: No more rework in SAP Analytics Cloud for your BEx queries! Now, your settings for the default sorting method and the default display in BEx queries are automatically reflected in the SAP Analytics Cloud user interface.
Direct live data connections to SAP BW and SAP S/4 HANA
Direct live connections are now supported for SAP BW and SAP S/4HANA on-premise edition.
- To enable native Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) support on these systems, you must run SAP NetWeaver, version 7.52 or above. Please refer to SAP note 2531811 for more information.
- For lower versions of NetWeaver, you can configure its ICM component to return the appropriate CORS headers. For more info on this, please refer to the SAP community blog: How to enable CORS on SAP NetWeaver platform.
You can now create a connection to import data from SAP SuccessFactors Workforce Analytics.
Do you have a great deal of data in your model? You may not need to see all of it when you do an export. In this release, you can now limit the amount of data you get when exporting models through these new options:
- Export leaf account members only
- Export booked data only
- Learn how to allow data import and model export with a file server
You can now schedule data imports and model updates as often as every hour. As a user, you can set up the start time for model refreshes. Tip: Be sure to save your settings to activate this feature.
- Learn how to schedule a data import (video)
When importing data to a model or public dimension, you can now add or update account dimension members, including account type, rate type, unit, currency, scale, and decimal places. Any errors are highlighted immediately to help you quickly identify and make corrections.
- This feature is only available in account-based models.
- As this time, this feature does not support updates for calculated members.
Cells in public versions are not always enabled for input or editing, and in our previous releases, it was not easy to know whether a cell was in fact editable or not. We’ve now improved the interface so you can clearly see whether cells are enabled for input or editing in public versions.
SAP Digital Boardroom
Ever get asked a question for a specific detail, right in the middle of your presentation? With release 2017.21, you now have the ability to search for specific content while presenting in the Digital Boardroom. You can use the new context menu to search for topics, pages, or individual story tiles containing the text of interest. Search results are conveniently grouped by context:
- Entry topic (results within the current topic of the presentation)
- Boardroom (results within all other topics in the current presentation)
- Global results (results within all other accessible presentations)
From the search results, you can open a page in a new overlay window or navigate to other topics in the current presentation. There are additional settings available to help you customize your search results.
- Learn how to present your digital boardroom
Users within your organization can now easily communicate with each other by leaving comments on data cells in tables.
- This feature includes an indicator for comments within hierarchies.
- Comments are tied to the underlying model and will appear if the same data point and context is used in other tables within the same story or across different stories.
- The commenting feature respects filters, data access control and row-level security.
- Learn how to pin and comment on a data point in a story (video)
Data Analysis, Stories, and Tables
Numeric point charts contain multiple elements that can be individually styled. We’ve smartened up the interface so you can simply click an element within the numeric point chart, and the Styling panel will immediately show you all of the styling options available for what you’ve selected only.
As a designer, you can craft visually rich, interactive stories for others. In this release, we’ve taken an important feature from the Digital Boardroom experience—the Explorer—and now enabled that also for stories. It’s an option that you can turn on or off for each story, which basically allows your viewers to launch the Explorer during view or presentation time and then perform additional analyses on the fly.
- You can configure which dimensions and measures are available in the Explorer.
- Story and page filters are applied to the Explorer at view time, and the Builder Panel shows you all the filters currently applied.
You can now explore your data by drilling up and down on account hierarchies in charts. Drilled accounts are shown as the outermost dimension.
You can now create multi-dimensional filters by selecting data from table cells. After selecting a data cell, filtering can be done via the quick action menu. The current filters can also work with Linked Analysis.
- Account dimensions are currently not supported for this filtering feature.
You can now reset chart and story filters to their original state when viewing story using the SAP Analytics Cloud mobile app.
- Download the SAP Analytics Cloud mobile app for iPhone and iPad
- Video tutorials
- Guided learning
- Events and recordings
- SAP Analytics Cloud help resources
- Official roadmap contains more info on future plans, subject to change.
Previous feature summary blogs:
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.20
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.19
- SAP Analytics Cloud release 2017.18
- More >
*SAP Analytics Cloud was previously known as SAP BusinessObjects Cloud
SAP has no obligation to pursue any course of business outlined in this blog or any related presentation, or to develop or release any functionality mentioned therein. This blog, or any related presentation and SAP’s possible future developments, products and or platforms directions and functionality are all subject to change and may be changed by SAP at any time for any reason without notice. The information in this blog is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any material, code, or functionality. This blog is provided without a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. This blog is for informational purposes and may not be incorporated into a contract. SAP assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in this document, except if such damages were caused by SAP’s willful misconduct or gross negligence.
All forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.